A new version of WordPress, WordPress 3.5 (as of this writing), is now available to download or automatically update on your site in your Dashboard.
BUT Before you update to the newest version of WordPress please do the following:
- Back Up your site! I highly recommend BackUpBuddy and it’s being discounted until Dec. 21st at 35%!
- Once you have installed BUB and do a full backup, either download to your computer or send to your cloud storage.
- Update ALL your plugins!
- Deactivate ALL your plugins.
- Install the newest version of WordPress.
- Once installed turned on (activate) ONE plugin at a time and then go look at your site, if it’s ok and still there, go activate the next plugin and then go look at your site, if it’s ok and still there, keep repeating this process until ALL your plugins are activated again. DO THIS because you might have a plugin installed that doesn’t work with the newest version of WordPress. If you activate them all at once you won’t know which one “broke” your site. It can take some time depending on how many plugins you have installed.
- If you have plugins installed and you don’t use them, this is a good time to delete them.
- After everything is updated, and everything is working properly do ANOTHER backup and download that or send off to the cloud.
Repeat this process every time a new version of WordPress is released – because if you don’t – this might happen to you:
Your site gets hacked or you get blacklisted by Google!
If you need help doing this I’m available for you by calling 410-586-9440 or fill out my form, I Need Help.